After the funeral

You can turn to us anytime – even after the funeral

We’re here to help you and your family, especially after a funeral which is when some people struggle with the practicalities. Free resources to help with the administration process including accessing and closing online accounts are available. From arranging a memorial to looking after your own wellbeing, you can download our free guides or we can email/post copies to you or your loved ones. We also have books on grief, access to professional bereavement support or if you just need a chat, pop into to see us.

Bereavement Support

If you think it would be useful for you, or anyone in your family, young or old, to talk to a bereavement counsellor, W.G. Catto can put you in touch with trusted contacts and free resources.

Digital End of Life

Here we offer some useful pointers on what to do when someone dies. It will also show you what you can do in advance to make sure your digital legacy is managed in a way you’d like.


Today, memorial comes in many forms and are often used to mark a grave or resting place where ashes have been interred, or simply mark a favourite spot.

After the Funeral FAQs

View all FAQs >

What is the difference between Tell Us Once and Life Ledger services?

Tell Us Once is a service aimed at notifying central and local Government agencies of a death so that they can centrally update records. Not only does this process the administration of certain accounts, it reduces the mail and other correspondence generated by these agencies over time.

Life Ledger is the private alternative and notifies telecom, financial, utilities and similar providers.

Both services are free to use and speed up the process of closing accounts.

Should I ask for additional copies of the death certificate?

It is often useful to obtain additional copies of the official death certificate called a ‘Certified Extract’ or 'Certified Copy of An Entry' as some institutions only accept originals which they may retain. Registrars will charge a fee for these copies.

Who else should I notify?

The following organisations are not included in the Tell Us Once service and you should notify them separately.


  • HMRC for business tax, corporation tax or VAT related updates
  • Mortgage provider
  • Banks and building societies
  • Premium bond, loan or other financial organisations
  • Credit card, in-store cards and other loyalty programmes


  • House, car, breakdown, holiday and buildings insurance providers (car insurance policies are commonly in one name so we advise you to check before driving)
  • Utility companies
  • TV licence, phone and broadband providers


  • Employer(s)
  • Education establishments if in current term
  • Professional associations
  • GP, hospital, dentist, optician and anyone else providing medical care: NHS and private provider
  • Charities, organisations or subscriptions the deceased made regular payments to
  • Libraries, children’s or adult services (meals, visits etc) or other clubs
  • Church, synagogue, mosque, temple or other places of worship
  • If the deceased has a licence for firearms, please contact the local police station.
How do I ask for mail to be redirected?

The Royal Mail redirection service intercepts mail addressed to the deceased and redirects it to an address of your choice. This can be arranged on a monthly, half yearly or annual basis. The Bereavement Register is also available to stop unsolicited post being sent to the deceased’s address.

What should I do about property or land owned?

If the deceased owned land or property, a different updating process is required which is typically dealt with by the executor, administrator or lawyer appointed by the deceased or next of kin. They will also deal with any Wills or Letters of Wishes with regard to the overall estate (property and belongings).